A proud Idaho native and Air Force veteran, TJ Thomson has built over a decade of experience as a steward of fiscal responsibility at the federal, state, and private levels. TJ works for Idaho Power as a Certified Internal Auditor, promoting ethical and open business practices and efficient use of resources. As a former NASA policy analyst and program evaluator with the Idaho Legislature, TJ has valuable experience finding improvements and taxpayer savings in government programs and initiatives. An engaged citizen and active community organizer, TJ lives in West Boise with his wife Alisha, to whom he has been happily married for over a decade.
- Boise State University, Bachelor of Political Science; Minor in Communication
- Indiana University, Master of Public Affairs – Policy Analysis, Public Administration
- Institute of Internal Auditors – Certified Internal Auditor
- Idaho Power Company, Certified Internal Auditor
- Idaho Office of Performance Evaluations, Program Evaluator
- U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), NASA Policy Analyst
- Boise State University Student Body President
- U.S. Air Force Veteran – B-1 Bomber Avionics Technician Specialist
CURRENT & PRIOR COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT HIGHLIGHTS:
- Currently serves on the Community Planning Association of Southwest Idaho (COMPASS)
- Currently serves on the City of Boise Audit Committee
- Currently serves on the City of Boise Public Works Commission
- 2012 Boise's "Dancing with the Stars" - TJ participates to raise funds for Muscular Dystrophy research:
- 2012 Fusion Magazine "Mr. Social Media" Award. TJ engages openly and regularly with the public on policy matters via social media.
- 2010 Boise Young Professionals "Young Leader of the year" Award.
- Neighborhood Watch Chair/Founder – Dawson Meadows Subdivision (West Boise) and Boise City Police Department Volunteer
- Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce Leadership Boise Graduate and member of Leadership Boise Alumni Association
- Suicide Prevention Action Network, Idaho Board of Directors and USA Field Liaison
- Idaho Power Company Volunteer Involvement Program “VIP” Award recepient
- Idaho Business Review “Accomplished 40 under 40” Award recepient
- Boise Citizens’ Police Academy Graduate
- 4th Judicial District Bar Association Citizens’ Law Academy Graduate
- U.S. Comptroller General’s “Outstanding Achievement and Teamwork” Recognition
- Human Rights Commissioner – Rockville, MD
- Boise State University Alumni Association Board “Outstanding Service” Recognition
TJ was born and raised in Southeastern Idaho. After graduating from Idaho Falls High School, he volunteered for active duty in the U.S. Air Force, serving honorably as a B-1 Bomber Avionics Technician Specialist in Abilene, Texas. Following military service, TJ attended Boise State University (BSU), becoming heavily involved in both the Boise community, through volunteer service activities, and the university policy making process, as BSU Student Body President. TJ graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Political Science and Minor in Communication, and then continued his studies at Indiana University in Bloomington, attaining a Master of Public Affairs (MPA) Degree in Policy Analysis and Public Management. TJ is also a Certified Internal Auditor with the Institute of Internal Auditors
TJ has built over a decade of experience at the federal, state, and private levels in policy analysis, program evaluation, and internal auditing. At the federal level, with the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) in Washington D.C., he worked as a Space Policy Analyst on NASA programs – focusing heavily on finding tax payer savings on costly government initiatives, as well as improvements to Space Shuttle safety. In 2004, he performed an in-depth analysis resulting in a one-billion dollar government savings, receiving special commendation and team service awards, as well as a personal recognition award from the U.S. Comptroller General for “outstanding achievement”. While working in Washington DC, TJ also served as a Human Rights Commissioner, was trained as a community mediator, and helped organize the annual Martin Luther King Celebration.
Upon returning to Idaho, TJ worked for the Idaho Office of Performance Evaluations (OPE) as a Program Evaluator. OPE is a nonpartisan, independent office that serves the Legislature by evaluating whether state government programs and agencies are operating efficiently, could operate more cost-effectively, and are achieving intended results. In a testimony before the Idaho Joint Legislative Oversight Committee, he described efforts by Idaho education agencies to develop a student information system and detailed future IT education needs for the committee. Presently, TJ works for Idaho Power Company as a Certified Internal Auditor – a role that focuses on the efficient use of resources and the integration of controls to promote ethical and open company practices.
TJ has been happily married for over a decade to his wife, Alisha. Together, they enjoy the many wonderful aspects of living in Idaho, including: fishing, skiing, boating, and biking and hiking in Boise’s beautiful foothills. The couple also enjoys scuba diving together and camping all across Idaho in the great outdoors. Alisha is a Hair Stylist at Panache Hair Studio and Day Spa in Boise. TJ and Alisha are presently in the process of adopting a child from Ethiopia.